rawhide report: 20051221 changes - X server removed

Mike A. Harris mharris at mharris.ca
Wed Dec 21 20:03:49 UTC 2005

Enrico Scholz wrote:
> mharris at mharris.ca ("Mike A. Harris") writes:
>

>>Yeah, after much debate, we decided to move X into Fedora Extras instead
>>of keeping it in core.  However, everyone is going on holidays for 2
>>weeks, so it wont show up in Extras probably until mid January or so.
>>
>>As an interim workaround, the Linux console can be pretty handy at
>>times though.
>

> Nice to hear. Should solve the one-installation CD problem. And with
> some optimisations (go back to gcc-2.7 and libc5), we can solve the
> live-diskette problem too.

That's actually not planned to happen until FC6, as the a.out
support is a bit too rough around the edges currently.  Also,
it's dependent on features in the 1.2.14 kernel which hasn't
yet been released.  (DRM integration issues, etc.)

--
Mike A. Harris, Open Source Advocate  *  http://mharris.ca
Proud to be Canadian.