Re: Royalty free gstreamer plug-in

Gianluca Sforna wrote:
Hi all,
is this announce from Fluendo referenced here:
already being discussed at Fedora Legal?

It would be really nice to finally have mp3 support OUTB in Fedora.

If my understanding is correct, this does NOT means mp3 support "out of the box" in Fedora.

It appears Fluendo got redistribution rights for binaries, not for source code - the relevant passage is "If you are living in a country where the mp3 patents don't apply you can of course use the source code".

So, again, if I understood correctly, Fedora will not include this plugin (because the distribution of sources is still covered by patents) but will be free to link to a page hosting the binaries. That or Fedora will go to the darkside and include binaries and no sources.

--
nicu
my hats collection: http://fedora.nicubunu.ro/hats/