Royalty free gstreamer plug-in

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Fri Dec 23 14:29:03 UTC 2005

> Hi
>

> > On the positive side, I think Fedora is allowed now to write in FAQ or
> > release notes: "to play mp3 files, go to this specific Fluendo page,
> > click and install the rpm"
> >
> We could have done that with RealPlayer long before. We dont do that
> since we dont support proprietary formats. If you want a Free software
> platform be prepared to support and use a Free and superior format like
> Ogg. Thats my take on it.

I think that's a great and courageous statement to make.  The reason
we're giving away this plug-in, legally, is because we feel users and
distributions should be given the choice to allow their users to migrate
from closed to open formats.

Thomas

If only you'd come back to me
If you laid at my side