Royalty free gstreamer plug-in

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 17:54:22 UTC 2005

> On 12/23/05, Elliot Lee <sopwith at redhat.com> wrote:
> > I expect there will be future developments in the media formats area of
> > Fedora, but for now it seems unlikely that we will do more than link to
> > the packages you have kindly made available.
>
> Even being able to link to this software as a prefered legal means to
> get mp3 support worth be a noteworthy change in the legal landscape.

While you're certainly correct, I would still like to see a *real* step
forward, which would be to fund a decoder for OGG with a significantly
lower "horsepower" requirement that portable audio player hardware
developers and vendors would be inclined to support.

In the meantime, getting people to convert to OGG as the solution of
choice for non-portable (and some portable) audio would be easier with
this link available.  If the Fedora community decides to support linking
to the Fluendo plugin, IMHO we should make intentions clear in this
respect.