Royalty free gstreamer plug-in

Thomas Vander Stichele thomas at apestaart.org
Fri Dec 23 18:13:28 UTC 2005

Hi,

> But you can do it (CentOS does)
> That's the whole point. To be allowed to take Fedora Core and do
> something else with it, if you disagree with Red Hat policies.
>
> This proposal OTOH is pretty much your take it or leave it traditional
> closed software offer.

Not really.  CentOS can still rebuild the whole distro, without the mp3
plugin, or choose to enter into a distributor's agreement with Fluendo,
and ship with the mp3 plugin.

Also, when was the last time that in a traditional closed software offer
you could see the source, make changes to it, submit the changes, and
get legal use out of your changes by using the next version of the
binary that gets released ?

You're trying to paint it a lot more black and white than it is, I
think.

Thomas

Bye bye long day
need to sleep so much