Royalty free gstreamer plug-in

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Fri Dec 23 20:36:33 UTC 2005

On Ven 23 décembre 2005 19:13, Thomas Vander Stichele wrote:

> Also, when was the last time that in a traditional closed software offer
> you could see the source, make changes to it, submit the changes, and
> get legal use out of your changes by using the next version of the
> binary that gets released ?
>
> You're trying to paint it a lot more black and white than it is, I
> think.

This is a lot less exceptional than you think. Microsoft shared source
program is pretty much the same thing.

Here only upstream is allowed to release legit binaries, so you don't get
the vendor freedom real FOSS permits.

The point of pure FOSS distros like FC is they're not benevolent
dictatorships. You don't like them you can leave them taking with you 100%
of the code and associated rebuild rights.

As you admitted yourself a Centos-like effort would have to drop the mp3
plugin. So it's definitely not free (I'll grant you the open part)

--
Nicolas Mailhot