VMWare tools on Fedora Core 5

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 13:41:00 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-23 at 23:19 +0100, Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:
> William Lovaton wrote:
> > So you managed to install the tools? How did that go?
> > is it working good for you? did you see any indication
> > of the progress? I just see that g-v-m crashes but
> > other than that I don't see that VMWare tool are being
> > installed... did you get some feedback on your screen
> > or something? did you get a confirmation message that
> > the tool were installed ok?
> >

> You guys could try the latest vmware-any-any patches from
> http://ftp.cvut.cz/vmware/ to see if that solves your issues. Whatever
> issue could easily be related to selinux, gcc stack protection or some
> other thing and the any-any patches tries to take care of weird
> situation like this. That said, i did not try installing FC5test under
> VMware workstation.

Exactly so, WRT to the vmware-any-any patches.  I used them throughout
FC4 with VMWare 5.0 to great results.

> The way to install tools in a linux guest, IMHO, is selecting "install
> vmware tools", mount the cd in the guest, untgz and build the tools.
> That should take care of the entire thing.

Actually, I installed the RPM, which I would consider preferable in an
RPM-based distro. ;-)  Works just as well:

1. Mount CD manually (mount /media/cdrom)
2. run:  su -c 'rpm -ivh /media/cdrom/VMWare*rpm'
   (you can't use yum because the RPM is not signed -- this is not a big
deal since the package from whence the CD files come is, itself, signed)
3. run:  su -c 'vmware-config-tools.pl'
   (need kernel-devel and gcc installed)