ssh to a FC5 test1 system fails, fails to create pts device nodes with 2.6.14-1.1783

Kevin Verma kevinverma at gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 11:22:18 UTC 2005

Hello,

I updated the kernel to kernel-2.6.14-1.1783_FC5 on a FC5 test1
machine, and after reboot I could not log on to it via ssh, the error
message in log files were as following:
(hand typed)

tailf -f /var/log/secure
sshd (pid): Accepted public key for root from 192.168.0.3
sshd (pid): pam_unix(sshd:session): session opened for user root by (uid=0)
sshd (pid): error: openpty: no such file or directory
sshd (pid): session_pty_req: session 0 alloc failed

Looking into /dev/pts/ , there are zero files.

I'll like to know if this report has got attention of the kernel
package developers and to suggest an intermediate fix.

Cheers,