Palm sync status?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Sun Dec 25 16:29:16 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-12-24 at 16:55 -0800, Pete Zaitcev wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 08:46:58 -0500, "Paul W. Frields" <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > My Handspring Visor Platinum works with JPilot on FC4 provided that I
> > > manually create the /dev/ttyUSB* files before each synchronization.
>
> > I fixed this problem some time ago, IIRC, by simply adding a file
> > "/etc/udev/rules.d/95-visor.rules" that has just this line:
> >
> >      KERNEL="ttyUSB1",SYMLINK="pilot"
>
> This seems to be a different problem, unless the other guy is not
> seriously mistaken. In his case the original device nodes were not
> created.

Whoops, I didn't read carefully enough.  I guess the OP might be able to
rememdy through editing /etc/hotplug/ stuff, if the attachment's being
picked up (q.v. lsusb), right?

> > In the future, shouldn't these issues go to fedora-list and not
> > fedora-devel-list?
>
> If we were talking about a proposed patch for udev, it would belong
> here. I keep the hope.
>
> There would also be a significant development content if we dicussed
> how to find a Pilot in a more robust way with udev. The thing is,
> we cannot ship KERNEL="ttyUSB1", because of dynamic numbering.

Not to mention that it's not entirely clear which PalmOS devices use the
even device numbers as opposed to odd -- e.g. ttyUSB0 or ttyUSB1.  I'm
sure this information can be discovered, but I've not looked for a list
either.