Debugging kernel hangs

Hi,
what is the proper way to analyze kernel hangs? I'm getting hit by this almost on a daily basis ever since moving to the 177x kernels and now I'm trying to get down to what the actual problem is. I only have one machine available so a method to get debugging information as a dump in a core file would be preferred but I could get a second machine attached to get that information via the serial console if necessary, I just can't keep the second machine around all the time.

Regards,
  Dennis