Re: Royalty free gstreamer plug-in

Jeff Pitman <jeff pitman gmail com> writes:
> (Optimally, FC should just take up the offer and include it in the
> distro. Wasn't Redhat offering indemnication against ghost-cases of
> patent claims during the SCO debacle? How about MP3? :D)

IANAL, I don't speak for Red Hat, etc ... but a couple of points seem
worth making here:

1.  SCO's claims are utterly without merit.  (IMHO, yadda yadda, see
above.)  The MP3 patents are real.

2.  SCO's claims cover the basis of the Unix/Linux system, while the
ability to play MP3's is, um, inessential to getting other things done.

The risk/reward ratio for Red Hat to consider indemnifying users against
the two issues is completely different.  I don't think you'll see Red
Hat going out on a limb for MP3 players.

			regards, tom lane