Re: Can't upgrade to Rawhide

On Wednesday 28 December 2005 13:58, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> >Yes, smart can also use yum repodata, just set up new channels of that
> > type, point it to the same urls you'll find in
> > /etc/yum.repos.d/*-devel.repo.
> >
> >http://labix.org/smart/faq#head-23a262be2555f1b386b7f8ca158010a49dd07ad3
>
> Smartpm can use yum metadata but its not just a frontend and its
> dependency resolves works very differently. Most notably it attempts to
> downgrade packages on occasions to resolve dependencies automatically
> which isnt what RPM is optimally designed or tested to do. Whether its
> desirable or if its a improvement is debatable. Yum obviously is getting
> better integrated with Anaconda, system-config-packages and so on. Of
> course now that Smartpm is under review for Fedora Extras repository,
> you have the choice easily.

Personally, I used to be a die-hard apt user, but I've been using mostly yum
of late (it has improved by leaps and bounds in the past year or so). And
yeah, yum is getting better and better integration w/the rest of Fedora.

Smart does have some intriguing "features" though. :)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod wilsonet com