Can't upgrade to Rawhide

Igor Jagec igorm5 at vip.hr
Thu Dec 29 01:33:33 UTC 2005

Rahul Sundaram wrote:

>> http://labix.org/smart/faq#head-23a262be2555f1b386b7f8ca158010a49dd07ad3

I know for that, but SmartPM just hanged when I was tryed to upgrade the
system into Rawhide. Here's my channel:

# Name: Development
[fc-dev]
name = Development
baseurl = http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/development/i386/core/
type = rpm-md

> Smartpm can use yum metadata but its not just a frontend and its
> dependency resolves works very differently. Most notably it attempts to
> downgrade packages on occasions to resolve dependencies automatically
> which isnt what RPM is optimally designed or tested to do.

I didn't know for that, thanks.

> Whether its
> desirable or if its a improvement is debatable. Yum obviously is getting
> better integrated with Anaconda, system-config-packages and so on.

I read that Yum is the new dependency resolver for Anaconda, and
system-config-packages as well. I like Yum better because it provides
some features I've never seen on Apt or Smart (package repackaging and
installing packages locally - 'yum localinstall'). But it is slower than
Apt and Smart, for now :-/

> Of
> course now that Smartpm is under review for Fedora Extras repository,
> you have the choice easily.

Well, I'm not some SmartPM fan or something, I was just playing with it.
Seems nice tool. Or it isn't as it looks like?

Cheers!

--
Igor Jagec