texdoc and TEXDOCVIEW_pdf

Jindrich Novy jnovy at redhat.com
Thu Dec 29 11:48:45 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-29 at 01:42 -0800, Michael A. Peters wrote:
> texdoc is a shell script from tetex.
>
> By default for viewing pdf files that are part of the tex documentation,
> it wants to use xpdf.
>
> xpdf is no longer installed by default, so a user is required to either
> install it - or set the TEXDOCVIEW_pdf environmental variable themselves
> to something else (like evince) - otherwise they get an xpdf command not
> found error.
>
> This would be nice to resolve for FC5 if it can be properly done.

texdoc indeed needs updating to more recent application bindings
suitable for FC5, the xpdf is just one example, but texdoc also uses gv
to handle PostScript files what's also not too good. Could you file a bz
for it? Package descriptions need updating as well, so I'll fix it all
at once.

Jindrich
--
Jindrich Novy <jnovy at redhat.com>, http://people.redhat.com/jnovy/