FC5 and Yum Plugins

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 17:11:30 UTC 2005

On 12/29/05, Brian Long <brilong at cisco.com> wrote:
> Nope.  I don't know that it's up to me or the Fedora project to contact
> each third-party repo maintainer when Fedora implements a change.  I'm
> asking Fedora to consider a change.

And I'm telling you...since you used atrpms and freshrpms as the
motivating example.. you should go out and contact those maintainers
about how they feel about YOUR idea to make this default.  Shoving a
new default into Core tool configs that is meant as a constraint on
interaction with 3rd party repos is ill-advised without the input from
the maintainers of those repos.  For you to suggest that the 3rd party
maintainer's opinion doesn't hold significant weight shows an absolute
lack of understanding of the history of this project's relationship
with 3rd party maintainers.

>If Fedora decides to implement that
> change for the "protection" of their users and repos, the third party
> repos would shoot themselves in the foot if they started scripting
> around the protection!  IMHO, they would lose credibility.

Considering that you are having problems with repos that already feel
they have a good reason to overwrite Core packaging decisions... i
think you making too many damned assumptions about what 3rd party
maintainers think.  I don't care how many users think protectbase on
by default is a good idea. If 90% of the users are like you and trying
to protect themselves against atrpm overwrites.. you better make damn
sure that atrpms is going to respect protectbase's default status.  We
aren't solving any problems by turning this on by default unless the
3rd party maintainers that most users have problems with agree to
respect the config.  As an mythtv atrpms package user, i would think
you would want to make sure Axel was behind this idea. In fact I say
any user of mythtv packages from atrpms loses credibility in this
discussion if they do not seek out Axel's opinion on that matter. The
last thing you want as a user of any atrpms packages is MORE
hostibility between this project and atrpms... because its just going
to end up making it more difficult for you as the user.

-jef