radical suggestion for fc4 release

Jeff Johnson n3npq at nc.rr.com
Tue Feb 1 01:48:02 UTC 2005

Ralf Corsepius wrote:

>>Add --stats, any install, run your own benchmark.
>>

>I did some checks comparing gzip vs. bzip on metadata repositories
>sometime last year. IIRC, I posted the results to this list.
>
>The result was not as eye-striking as one might expect.

Benchmarks are in the eye of the beholder. My 5-7x slower was done
in rpm-3.0.5, immediately after putting bzip2 into rpm. I have had no reason
to go back and recheck the data.

But --stats is in rpm, specifically for the purpose of measuring payload
unpacking
speed in situ (and identifying other bottlenecks)

I will believe that benchmark and no other.

Have fun!

73 de Jeff