FC for ia64?

Paul Iadonisi pri.rhl3 at iadonisi.to
Thu Feb 3 00:48:54 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-02 at 18:33 -0500, Dave Jones wrote:

[snip]

> Seriously, I've seen more people file s390 bugs
> than ia64 bugs for the Fedora kernel packages.

  Sheesh, seriously?!  Now that's really sad.  That probably explains at
least *some* of the reason for HP stepping out of the partnership with
Intel.
  We just got two loaner rx1600's in a week ago and I managed to get
Whitebox Enterprise Linux (ported to ia64 and referenced on the Gelato
website -- http://www.gelato.org/).  While it's a funky platform
(stupidly putting the so-called Extended Firmware Interface or EFI on
*disk* making diskless systems an effort, if not impossible -- though it
could be just my lack of experience with the platform), they're not that
bad.  It's definitely zippy for a dual 1GHz box, if not exorbitantly
expensive.  What was the reason for ditching Alpha again?
  Oh, well.  I'm happy with my FC3 on my new dual Opteron 250 and happy
that it's now a tier 1 platform.
  I'd be happy to be a beta tester for FC on ia64 if Jesse can get SGI
to donate an Altix to me.  ;-)

--
-Paul Iadonisi
 Senior System Administrator