x86_64 in FC4?

Gene C. czar at czarc.net
Fri Feb 4 23:05:14 UTC 2005

On Friday 04 February 2005 17:42, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Elliot Lee <sopwith at redhat.com>:
> > I'm not yet sure whether we'll have PowerPC included - it would help to
> > have someone from that team give a summary of the status of rawhide on
> > that arch.
>
> I just got an Opteron box.  It would be real nice if the FC4 test 1 disks
> included 64-bit kernel RPMS and a handful of 64-bit builds for the most
> speed-critical stuff (Perl & Python interpreters, Open Office, etc.).

Yes, I have an Opteron system also and have been impressed with its relative
performance (even with my Opteron 140).

For FC2 and FC3, the x86_64 has been a fully "tier 1" "supported" architecture
and I would expect this to continue with FC4 [FC1 was also supported but just
a bit later].  The folks behind Fedora Core are trying to pick architectures
for which there are a large number of potential users. Thus, you have i386
(i586 and i686), x86_64, and (maybe) the ppc.  For x86_64, almost all of the
packages are built as x86_64 (not just the kernel and a few other packages).
Included are some i386 packages since the system supports dual mode running
of  32 bit or 64 bit applications and there are a few applications (notably
openoffice.org) that are still 32 bit only.
--
Gene