Sharing sound hardware

Sitsofe Wheeler sitsofe at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 6 14:06:45 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-02-05 at 18:44 +0100, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
> On 5 Feb 2005, at 12:25, Dariusz J. Garbowski wrote:
> AFAIK, dmix will use software mixing *only* if your sound card doesn't
> support hardware mixing.

Where did you get this from? Can you point to a page that explicitly
says this? I would be *very* interested to know if this happens.

The only information I could find was
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/alsa-lib/pcm_plugins.html#pcm_plugins_dmix and there no mention of hardware mixing with software mixing fallbacks. I also had a cursory glance at http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/alsa/alsa-lib/src/pcm/pcm_dmix.c?rev=1.60&view=auto and I don't see anything to check whether there are "free" hardware channels to mix with (but to be fair that might not be the piece of code that decides).

--
Sitsofe | http://sucs.org/~sits/