VPN Server features

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Sat Feb 12 00:41:47 UTC 2005

> Could I ask for or get everyones opinion that VPN features are required
> in core 4.  I think it is the one major function that is missing from
> the software is a good vpn server that can be used as a gateway into
> remote networks and although connections from linux clients would be
> best - it would be possible to connect to it from windows.

Well there's support for IPSEC from the ipsec and openswan packages. I
tried miserably to get it working the other day and couldn't. There
seems to be a conflict when connecting between the two packages and I
couldn't work out whether they were suppose to work together or you
chose one or the other. There's a IPSEC tab in the network config gui
which creates an ifcfg-Blah script and so on.

Is there documentation any where? I couldn't even find a post to a
list outlining it. It'd be nice to have a example for something like a
RoadWarrior connecting in. I believe it should work with the standard
W2K/XP IPSEC client. There's also a newer rc of the ipsec package on
their site which is suppose to be quite stable and have lots of extra
feature. Possible inclusion for the test release?

Links
here http://ipsec-tools.sourceforge.net/ and here http://www.openswan.org