Fedora non-standard build environment (%_host etc.)

Jos Vos jos at xos.nl
Sat Feb 12 16:09:06 UTC 2005

On Sat, Feb 12, 2005 at 10:14:14AM -0500, Jeff Johnson wrote:

> THe issue with pango is perhaps subtle.
>
> In a multilib environment, pango was one of about 6 or so packages that
> had to change because of path collisions.
>
> The fix was to create a per-platform directory.
>
> How that directory is named, and how the path is determined, have nothing
> whatsoever to do with the original problem that needed to be solved, i.e.
> changing the path so that components were not clobbered in a multilib
> environment.

All fine, but my answer is still not answered (unless I'm missing the
point in your answer): why is %_host evaluated to i386-redhat-linux-gnu
in the RH build environment and to i686-redhat-linux-gnu on a standard
Fedora/RHEL system.

Is this an intentional, explicit setting in the RH environment, or is
it done for a few packages only, or...

--
--    Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl>