grip being removed [Re: rawhide report: 20050120 changes]

Arjan van de Ven arjanv at redhat.com
Mon Feb 14 14:28:22 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 09:14 -0500, Paul A. Houle wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:58:26 +0100, Iago Rubio <iago.rubio at hispalinux.es>
> wrote:
>
> > Feel free to buy an MP3 decoder license and donate it to rh.
> > http://www.mp3licensing.com/help/developer.html#1
> > http://www.iis.fraunhofer.de/amm/legal/index.html
> > http://www.mp3licensing.com/royalty/index.html
> >

> 	That's insane.
>
> 	The decoder license is $60,000.  What's that?  The revenue RH gets from

> 	Perhaps RH could spend some of the money that it's not spending on
> quality assurance and support and buy a decoder license and put an end to
> this nonsense.  (Granted,  I don't see a 'one-time' licensing fee for the
> encoder and the encoder licensing really does look stiff.)

it's worse actually. If RH coughed up the $60k we still can't ship it,
since all MP3 decoders are GPL licensed. And the GPL doesn't actually
allow you to ship code only YOU have a patent license for; you need a
patent license for everyone and every possible derived work of that
code..... which the licensing guys aren't actually providing.