grip being removed [Re: rawhide report: 20050120 changes]

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Tue Feb 15 10:48:42 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 11:05 +0100, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

>> Or why should FC care whether third parties (in some countries) who can
>> download the ISO's and then charge per CD-ROM might be affected by the
>> software included.
>
>1. FC is not the ultimate source of all its components - why should
>upstream projects care about FC if it doesn't care about its downstream ?
>
>2. I think you severily underestimate the contributions of downstream
>projects - if you play nice with downstream downstream will play nice with
>you and contribute developpers/packages to FC. A lot of the people
>contributing things for FC extras now come from what can be considered
>downstream projects : livna, dag, aurora...
>
>Getting the relations right with upstream and downstream is one of the
>main points of Fedora - this is what RH was about to lose when RHEL was
>launched.

Good points Nicolas!

I'm sure this isn't a black and white issue, but I must admit to some
misgivings when you hear comments like FC won't be doing this because RH
want this package, but the users of FC seem to be screaming for
something different.

However, with that said, without the very generous contributions of RH,
Fedora Core wouldn't even exist, so that's something that needs to be
considered.

Food for thought!

Rodd