RPM needs to go on a diet.

Michael Favia michael.favia at insitesinc.com
Thu Feb 17 19:16:59 UTC 2005

Jeff Johnson wrote:

> Kyrre Ness Sjobak wrote:
>
>> tor, 17.02.2005 kl. 04.47 skrev Jeff Johnson:

>>> Hardlinks's identical files to save space.
>>>

>> Why are hardlinks chosen over symlinks here?
>>

> Look there's a really simple answer to hardlinks and rpm and more:
>
> Choose a kernel, use that.
>
> Chose another kernel, use that, get rid of previous.
>
> With one (or very few) kernels installed, hardlink and rpm performance
> is a non-issue.

At a cursory glance, arbitrarily limiting the ability to rollback kernel
upgrades (to a small or larger extent) seems a poor fix. Discovering
kernel flaws or bugs doenst necessarily happen the first time you use
the new kernel and may lay hidden for some time. In my company dictating
acceptable use (outside of normal operating bounds, and without very
good reason) is seen as a red herring of poor design (no implications
intended). I suppose you could just go find and download the older
kernels to test but i honestly dont know where to find archived versions
of kernel updates (that is: not base and not most recent update).
Perhaps i am the only one who doesnt know where to find such things or
maybe information on that subject will reduce the need to keep the
kernels installed. I dont know the issues involved but i hesitate when i
hear answers like the above suggestion to problems like these.
-mf