RPM needs to go on a diet.

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Thu Feb 17 20:23:37 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-17 at 14:14 -0600, Michael Favia wrote:
> For me this issue and others (plugins, kernel modules,
> missingok/optional features) seem to bolster the claim for a more
> interactive Yum or at least yum mode. A yum that poses a few simple
> question to the user like:
>
> You have 7 kernels installed we recommend that you keep the number of
> kernels installed concurrently fewer than 3 would you like to remove
> some of them?
>   Yes all but the most recent 3.
>   No keep your grimy hands off my kernels.

I wouldn't exactly describe this as a "simple question" ;-)

The right approach is to just have a default garbage collection policy,
and for the 0.25% or less of the world that wants something else have a
config file where you can disable kernel GC entirely or pin certain
versions so they won't be removed.

Havoc