FC4 slimfast slimfest

Toshio Kuratomi toshio at tiki-lounge.com
Mon Feb 21 21:07:21 UTC 2005

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 03:35:34PM -0500, Elliot Lee wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Here's a heads up that we need to get rid of about 300M of packages to
> make sure that FC4 continues to fit on 4 CD's. Right now eclipse, xfce,
> xemacs, cfengine, and all the games are leading candidates. We also may
> try to start removing stuff from Core in hopes that it will appear in
> Extras if someone cares about it.

Has anyone answered the question of whether RedHat will provide manpower to
maintain packages in Extras?  (I wasn't at FUDCon -- I was hoping it would
get tossed about there.)

It's one thing to talk about keeping FC4 to 4 CDs so we don't burden users
with downloading extra programs.  It's another to say RedHat needs to keep
its maintenance of packages down; currently we can only support about 4 CDs
worth of stuff.

-Toshio