FC4 slimfast slimfest

Per Bjornsson perbj at stanford.edu
Mon Feb 21 21:33:06 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 22:25 +0100, Gérard Milmeister wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 16:10 -0500, Dan Williams wrote:
>
> > Is there any particular reason to keep 'gv'?  How important is it to keep around
> > pure X11 versions of tools like this? There are gnome & KDE versions of
> > PostScript & PDF viewers that are much more capable, and far less ugly.
> >
> In my experience it is the fasted PS viewer around. I occasionally use
> it instead of ggv.

Did you try Evince yet? I haven't time it against gv, but it feels much
faster than ggv.

Also, it doen't allocate enough memory to trigger the oom-killer on PDFs
with big monochromatic bitmaps, like gpdf sometimes does (apparently
this is due to being based on an older version of xpdf, and since Evince
exists I doubt that gpdf is ever going to see more significant work). I
can't see any place where it's a regression compared to gv. I'd say kill
them all, as Dan suggested.

/Per

--
Per Bjornsson <perbj at stanford.edu>
Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Applied Physics, Stanford University