FC4 slimfast slimfest

Aaron Luchko aluchko at redhat.com
Mon Feb 21 22:50:03 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 16:33 -0500, Andrew Overholt wrote:
> * Elliot Lee <sopwith at redhat.com> [2005-02-21 15:36]:
> >
> > Right now eclipse, xfce, xemacs, cfengine, and all the games are leading
> > candidates. We also may try to start removing stuff from Core in hopes
> > that it will appear in Extras if someone cares about it.
>
> If Eclipse goes then so does all of the Java stuff since Eclipse is our
> bytecode compiler.

Is it really necessary that we have mozilla and firefox, thunderbird and
evolution, abiword, gnumeric and OpenOffice.org, there are a lot of
areas with redundant packages in core.  As well larger games like
tuxracer while nice aren't really necessary for something like core.
I'd hate for these packages which aren't adding much in the way of
functionality to push out java which really is missing functionality.
As it is currently a jvm is one of the first things downloaded by a
significant portion of users and java is used by a wide variety of apps.
I think functionality as important as java really needs to be left in
core.

For the aid of the discussion you can find all of the packages currently
in the development tree here.

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/development/

Aaron