FC4 slimfast slimfest

Gérard Milmeister gemi at bluewin.ch
Tue Feb 22 00:05:06 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 23:49 +0000, Michael A. Peters wrote:

> I don't want to have to download all of extras just to get the
> convenience of a DVD install (no disk swapping) - especially since in a
> month or so, a good portion of those extras will have updates that
> would need to be individually downloaded anyway.
>
> Most of extras I don't use - I would rather download a smaller install
> iso and just yum install the extras that I do use.

A problem is, that many people don't have fast internet connections,
therefore relying solely on yum install from remote repositories for
getting all the good stuff is not a good idea, IMHO. On the other hand
if someone has downloaded a couple of CDs or DVDs it is lot easier to
distribute it to those who cannot afford downloading large chunks.
Agreed the problem of updates will still exist.
--
Gérard Milmeister
Langackerstrasse 49