FC4 slimfast slimfest

Phil Muldoon pmuldoon at redhat.com
Tue Feb 22 01:19:47 UTC 2005

> There's a lot of space between "include it on the Fedora install CDs
> that absolutely everyone who uses Fedora must acquire" and invite
> people to use non-free solutions."  For example, "put it on an
> optional Fedora Java CD."

You know in the long term, we agree. I absolutely believe Fedora should
be slimmer (even to the point of one basic CD and everything else being
optional). However, the argument that: "include it on the Fedora install
CDs that absolutely everyone who uses Fedora must acquire" is sort of
bogus when you cast your eyes over 4 CDs worth of Fedora Core software
that everyone in going to acquire anyway, and that there is no room for
Eclipse and the related open source Java stack there. In the future, I
could see the Java CD option being a great option. But this exercise is
getting FC4 down to a fixed size for the upcoming deadline.

Right now the most compelling argument is that it is big, and therefore
a good target to clip. There's no other metric being used, like usage in
the community, or how active a project it is, or value to the open
source community. There might be merit in the pure size argument; we all
have to make hard decisions in the light of deadlines, but I'm trying to
appeal to the notion that the size of the install is worth it, and bring
valuation to other aspects of Eclipse. In the future, say FC5 and beyond
there is much merit in the division of layers into separate CDs/Repos.

Regards

Phil