FC4 slimfast slimfest

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Tue Feb 22 02:08:45 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-21 at 19:35 -0500, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 18:25:41 -0500, Chuck R. Anderson <cra at wpi.edu> wrote:
> > I've never once in my life ever used fortran or needed it to
> > compile/run anything.  However, does it build from the same src.rpm?
> > How would it be packaged in Extras if it does?
>
> count yourself extremely lucky.  Sadly its packaged as a sub-package
> of gcc srpm, so it cant be easily handed off over the Core/Extras
> barrier. And if the sub-package were simply not included the people
> who need it, like me, will end up rebuilding the gcc srpm to renable
> the gcc-f77 subpackage.

*Please* keep the gcc-g77 package (or the gcc4 equivalent) in the
default Fedora Core install.

Its small.  And there are many scientists and researchers "out there"
who are neither particularly skilled programmers nor experienced admins.
And they rely on gcc-g77 being easily available.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307