Wubi for iiimf

Konstantin Ryabitsev mricon at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 02:17:56 UTC 2005

Hello, all:

The topic of Wubi input for iiimf has been discussed previously about
a year ago, but at that time, from what I understood by perusing
archives, there were licensing issues. Is there any movement on this
front since then? Gimlet has greatly improved between FC2 and FC3, but
Chinese input is still limited to Cangjie (Traditional, very obscure
for novices), or Pinyin, which is tied to the Northern Mandarin
dialect. While Pinyin is great for newbies like me, it also ulimately
hurtsss usss, because of its ties to one dialect and because it's
impossible to type in unfamiliar characters -- must know how it's
pronounced, which is more often than not... difficult... to divine
from the character itself.

The Wubi input method solves the latter problem, and is increasingly
popular for Hanzi/Kanji input. I understand it's part of SCIM, but
it's unclear to me how SCIM ties to IIIMF. Can anyone shed some light
on the status of Wubi input in Fedora?

Cheers,
--
Konstantin Ryabitsev