FC4 slimfast slimfest

Havoc Pennington hp at redhat.com
Tue Feb 22 03:31:23 UTC 2005

Hi,

Can I suggest two possible approaches...

 1) we aren't willing to remove anything that was in FC3 due to the
    upgrade problem, so we basically have to remove the stuff that's
    new since FC3; just do that

 2) maybe we are willing to consider removing anything,
    if so I propose this approach:

 - create "profiles" of complete sets of packages that some
   common audiences would want; avoid duplicate-functionality/
   indecision as much as possible in those

 - try to include/exclude complete profiles

 for example, a complete "corporate desktop",
 "mail server", "print server", "file server", "sysadmin
 workstation", "C programming environment",
 "java programming environment", etc.

 dump entire use cases like that; and dump multiple ways
 to do a single use case.

 Rationale: it's stupid to include half of a use case, since
 you are already causing that person to go to Extras, you
 may as well send them there for everything.

Havoc