FC4 slimfast slimfest

Paul A. Houle ph18 at cornell.edu
Tue Feb 22 13:34:46 UTC 2005

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 16:19:34 -0500, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com>
wrote:

> - non-IIIMF input methods - they are now obsolete for a few releases

	Input methods are a big annoyance to people who don't use them;  when we
installed RH 9 on my sister-in-law's computer,  her first complaint was
that it "took too long to boot."  I went in and cleaned up the boot
sequence and found that a number of different input methods that I'd never
heard of wasted many seconds at boot time.

> - mozilla (classic) - superseded by firefox, thunderbird, epiphany, etc

	I have no idea why the world has embraced firefox after rejecting
mozilla.  Perhaps there's a hidden way to do it,  but I've had much better
luck configuring the pop-up blocker in mozilla...  The are lots of little
features in mozilla I find myself missing in firefox.

	On the other hand,  RH always seems to ship a Mozilla that's hopelessly
out of date so I usually end up installing my own in /usr/local and rpm
--erasing the one that came with the OS.  (Funny enough,  I do that for
all of the software that I actually care about.)