Exim as default MTA.

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Feb 22 22:10:17 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 21:59 +0000, Carwyn Edwards wrote:
>How does the argument stack up against postfix? I've found postfix +
>procmail (optional) + dovecot + squirrelmail (optional) to be very easy
>to manage.

I haven't had that much experience of postfix.

On the occasions I've looked at its configuration I've found it far more
difficult than Exim but that's partly because I'm familiar with Exim's
configuration so I find it hard to judge.

I'm also somewhat put off postfix by the fact that even the postfix
'experts' who insist on using it freedesktop.org were completely unable
to make it route mail properly to a domain with an IPv6-only primary MX.
Possibly something to do with the recent 'open relay' erratum for
postfix.

The thing that really tips the balance, though, is the documentation. As
I said, it's the best documentation I've ever seen for a Free Software
project. Set yourself a few common tasks which a basic Fedora sysadmin
might want to do, and have a play with
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.40/doc/html/spec.html and
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.40/doc/html/FAQ.html

--