FC4 slimfast slimfest

esm at logic.net esm at logic.net
Tue Feb 22 17:04:49 UTC 2005

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 04:06:27PM -0500, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 13:54:20 -0700, Joshua Eichorn <josh at bluga.net> wrote:
> > It would be a shame to lose gnome-games, every computer needs easy
> > access to solitaire.
>
> why? so office workers can be less productive?

I'll tackle this one. There's very few other applications provided by an
operating system that are both fun/engaging, and a good learning tool for
most of the basic actions that a mouse requires.

After seeing my 73-year-old mother go from "what do you mean, drag it?" to
double clicking like she was born at a computer in a couple of days of
playing solitaire, I'm sold on it: it's an ingenious tool for teaching how
to use the mouse that doesn't bore the hell out of the student.

Does Fedora need all of gnome-games? No, that's just silly. But a few basic
games which emphasize the range of mouse interactions with the system widget
set should be there, IMHO.

--
Edward S. Marshall <esm at logic.net>
http://esm.logic.net/

Felix qui potuit rerum cognoscere causas.