FC4 slimfast slimfest

Leszek Matok Lam at Lam.pl
Wed Feb 23 20:52:35 UTC 2005

Dnia 23-02-2005, śro o godzinie 21:16 +0100, Michael Schwendt napisał
(a):
> Then do a better job at educating that person about extra packages and
> how to get them easily. His choice of words ("stupid") is inappropriate
> already. More friendlier of him would be to ask about how to add mp3
> support, in case you had not warned him earlier.
In fact I warn and give instruction how to install xmms-mp3, disable
librh_mp3.so, install mplayer etc., but only to few of my friends who
want to try out Linux and can count on my support. I don't sell copies,
but I can imagine the hell any Fedora CD/DVD seller has to go through :)

The typical user who wants to try out Fedora is disappointed when they
install for the first time. I for one don't want Linux to be 31337, I
want it to be seen as an alternative to Windows or MacOS even by
Windows/MacOS users, and that can happen only if such user doesn't get
disgusted after even test installation. I don't care if the users go
back to their systems if only they get the impression that Linux works.
The bad thing is only if they go back and say "I had Linux on my box
once, but it doesn't do this, this and this, and I had to find some
third-party packages which I didn't know how to install, so it sucks".

Of course the technical-savvy users will find the packages they need and
find instructions on how to install them, but I thought we're aiming at
making Fedora every-user-friendly :)

Lam