FC4 slimfast slimfest

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu Feb 24 14:09:50 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 15:02 +0100, Florian La Roche wrote:
> > In that case I would be curious about the reasons which make exim more
> > "right" than say postfix, otherwise it's only an "everyone wants his pet
> > MTA" thing.
>
> The config file is more stable and the way they maintain the package
> more longterm. That's what I heard.

Yeah -- Phil refuses to make changes like defaulting the header_sender
callout to using a _real_ reverse-path instead of the empty sender,
because it would change the behaviour for existing users. It's a pain at
times, but overall it makes sense. It means you can upgrade with a very
good expectation that nothing will break.

That reminds me -- Exim's SMTP callouts correctly use the null sender,
where I believe Postfix's do not. I've had to implement a workaround for
broken Postfix callouts for certain addresses which only ever _send_
mail and shouldn't receive it.

--
dwmw2