Why is sendmail bad?

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Thu Feb 24 19:45:15 UTC 2005

There seems to be a lot of dissatisfaction with sendmail in the call to
replace it with Exim or Postfix, but I didn't see any specifics about why
people object to it. Anyone care to give details?

I'm using sendmail together with MIMEDefang to run SpamAssassin and ClamAV
against messages during the SMTP transaction so that I can reject obvious
spam and viruses before they're committed to a queue. MIMEDefang uses a
user-edited Perl script to establish the exact rules for acceptance, making
the system very flexible. How hard is that to set up in Postfix or Exim?