Summary of Dropped Packages

Sean Middleditch elanthis at awesomeplay.com
Thu Feb 24 21:25:16 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 22:08 +0100, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
>Hi Jef,
>
>On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 21:46, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>> Yes.. eventually OO.org will grow to take up 4 cds. But by that point
>> it will be a general purpose operating system in its own right, so we
>> won't notice a difference in the end. All this nashing of teeth is
>> just growing pains.
>
>Seems more like a case of shrinking pains to me. Anyway, not really an
>answer to my question is it? With individual packages growing we will
>have lack of room on the 4 CDs for the next release as well. Long before
>OOo grows to 4 CDs all by itself.

Packages always growing?  Bah, every programmer knows that the most
useful tool is the delete key. ;-)  In all seriousness, a lot of the
best software development manages to add features *and* shrink the
codebase *and* make everything faster.

Eventually, yes, it will probably become impossible to fit a complete OS
(and mainstream apps) on a couple CDs.  By that time, though, one would
hope that DVDs would be more common place as a software distribution
mechanism.  Not much longer than a decade ago it was rather far-fetched
to think that you could distribute software without offering a floppy
version.  ;-)