Why is sendmail bad?

Kenneth Porter shiva at sewingwitch.com
Thu Feb 24 21:29:39 UTC 2005

--On Thursday, February 24, 2005 1:53 PM -0600 Josh Boyer
<jwboyer at jdub.homelinux.org> wrote:

> But if a package is going to be the default for a distribution, it should
> also be fairly simple for new users to configure and adapt to.

What MTA configuration would a new user be expected to do? It sounds like
the big one is enabling inbound scanning.

How "RPM-friendly" are Exim and Postfix to adding plug-ins? Can I just run
the install RPM for the plug-in and these MTA's pick them up? Or is manual
configuration necessary? (For comparison, most sendmail plug-ins currently
require manual configuration, usually by copying some lines from the
plug-in's readme to the sendmail.mc file. But a smarter plug-in could just
provide an M4 file to include in sendmail's cf "feature" files and the user
could just re-make the mc file to incorporate it.)