reducing distribution CD count

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Thu Feb 24 21:42:41 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 16:32 -0500, Elliot Lee wrote:
>Yea, that split was crack.

Splitting the documentation packages out into a separate SRPM from the
Exim binaries makes a lot of sense -- the docs are distributed
separately, updated at different times, and built into a separate RPM
package which should have been noarch. There is no overlap between them
and the Exim dæmon itself. There was never any real reason for them to
be inside the main exim SRPM in the first place. The point in fixing
that now was to make it easier to drop the docs¹ if it was really
necessary to make space, because upgrades won't suffer just due to the
docs being older.

>At this point the plan is to have exim entirely in Extras.

I thought that _even_ while we thought there was a point to this
exercise and we thought we could make FC4/i386 fit in 4 CDs, we had
acknowledged that we couldn't drop packages which were in FC3 because
that would make upgrades problematic?

--
dwmw2

¹ or move them to Extras -- the two are basically equivalent for FC4.