Strange 100% CPU state after 2005022[3|4] updates

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Fri Feb 25 04:21:36 UTC 2005

Every now and again my CPU goes into a 100% usage state after recent
rawhide updates (last two days).

IN one case I couldn't figure out what was causing it and had to
shutdown anyway, so just turned the system off.

In another, I tried killing gnome-vfs-daemon, gnome-settings-daemon,
nautilus, gamin and finally stopped it killing gnome-panel.

in both cases I don't know what triggered it, but the usage was roughly
30-40% user, 60-70% system.

Just now I've discovered I can trigger a similar state as follows:

1. Open Applications > Accessories > Dictionary
2. Type Role into the Word field and hit enter
3. Click on the hyperlink Roll (this should bring up the meaning of
Roll)

Doing this sends my CPU 100% (about 30% user and 70% system)

Closing the Dictionary fixes this immediately.

Is anyone else seeing this (I'll file a bug report if so, or if someone
tells me) and has anyone got any ideas why?

Rodd