debug about NetworkManager & resolv.conf being erased

Dan Williams dcbw at redhat.com
Fri Feb 25 14:15:11 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 10:29 +0100, Arnaud Abélard wrote:
> Dan, you've been asking for debug infos about NetworkManager & the
> resolv.conf problem, so here it comes:
>
> I've been trying to use NetworkManager to manage my ethernet and
> wireless devices on FC3. As it was previously said on the list,
> NetworkManager sometimes erase the current resolv.conf file with en
> empty one.

Ok, I think I know what's going on here.  NM used to have a "feature"
where it would not attempt touch a wired connection that was active when
NM started up.  This was present to allow users with network-mounted
home directories to use NM (if you bring down the network device, your
computer basically freezes because your homedir is network mounted).

I removed that "feature" quite a few weeks ago because it caused too
many problems, like this one.  Current CVS and the builds in rawhide
shouldn't have this problem, but FC3 builds have lagged behind a bit.

What version of NetworkManager are you running?  Is this the one from
fc3-updates or fc3-updates-testing?

Dan