FC3 -> FC4 Upgrade? (was Re: reducing distribution CD count)

Chuck R. Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Fri Feb 25 22:20:33 UTC 2005

On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 03:07:46PM -0500, Eric Warnke wrote:
> lprng was never part of core ( afaict )

LPRng was in Red Hat Linux 9 and earlier.

> I don't install things from fedora.us, freshrpms, dag, ... if I need
> something outside core I rebuild it, test it and deploy it in a local
> repo.  I don't think it's unreasonable to let the user know that they are
> breaking there system in anaconda.

Anaconda won't upgrade your self-built packages, then.  It won't
remove them, either.  Same as the packages removed from FC4.

> or why.  No attempt has been made to clarify the exact ammount of space
> that need to be made up.  No one has attempted to bzip2 packages that
> might save space.  Between suggestions already made we could reduce the
> overage by half.  Careful inspection of the packages could reveal more
> dead packages and then larger items could be examined for cutting.

You could do this.  Anyone who cared enough could.