reducing distribution CD count

Colin Charles byte at aeon.com.my
Sat Feb 26 04:51:37 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 17:44 -0500, seth vidal wrote:
> > > 3- The average joe (me) expect to find the documentation in the
> same
> > > place than the program. A program with its documentation is the
> same
> > > whole thing.
> >
> > Perhaps I'm not an "average joe" in this matter, but I never look
> for
> > documentation on the local disk.  I *always* use Google first.
>
> +1
>
> people use local docs?

Think countries where the Internet is not so readily available. Or homes
where there are no Internet connections. And don't even think 3rd world
countries...

<anecdote>
Someone came up to me at LinuxWorld after the talk I gave, and said
they'd like to upgrade from RH9 to FC3. I said, grab the DVD. He said he
lacked a DVDROM drive. I said, use yum :) He said he lacked an Internet
connection.
</anecdote>

He definitely needs local docs. And so do many others. And then there's
devhelp as thomasvs mentions, which is mighty useful for programmers.

We should set a precedent that whatever goes in, must at least have a
good man page, with good docs. In fact, this is what FreeBSD/OpenBSD has
set as precedent, iirc - package doesn't go in, till it has docs
Colin Charles, byte at aeon.com.my
http://www.bytebot.net/
then you win." -- Mohandas Gandhi