Package pruning for FC4 and beyond

Jakub Jelinek jakub at redhat.com
Sat Feb 26 14:11:19 UTC 2005

On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 08:38:51AM -0500, Eric Warnke wrote:
> ElectricFence - Development only nothing depends on it - 1 objection,
> but I still say it's usage does not justify it remaining in core - there
> is at least one competing package ( dmalloc, valgrind )

valgrind is i386 only (therefore not a replacement for efence) and
dmalloc is far worse then efence.  If anything needs to be dumped to Extras,
then it is dmalloc, not ElectricFence.

> lynx/elinks - 1 objection about scripts using lynx... ether those
> scripts are not part of core or they are not marked correctly.  If you
> can surf the web with either, you can download them from extras.  If
> either has a dependancy in core the .src.rpm needs to be corrected.

If you install a server, you often don't run X at all and ability to
browse web is very useful.  Plus it is definitely something e.g. blind
people can't miss in the distro.  Therefore I strongly object to dropping
at least elinks.  elinks is really small package btw.

> doxygen - Sorce code documentation generator D:0 - 1 objecton - I don't
> think we necessarly need to keep every build dependancy in core.

Core must be self-hosting.

	Jakub