Package pruning for FC4 and beyond - COMPLETE LIST

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 18:19:29 UTC 2005

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 12:24:18 -0500, Eric Warnke <eric at snowmoon.com> wrote:
> usermode/utempter - overlaps with sudo
usermode is acutually used by every system-config  tool
utempter is needed by libgnome and xorg-x11 packages
nothing uses sudo... though i imagine many users do.

> tix - Tcl/Tk extansion
required by tkinter.. as soon as tkinter is dropped this will go.
without complaint i would imagine

> nut - nice package, but is it really core materal?
as much a piece of core as any server oriented package. Get apache
booted out first and I'll agree.

> nss_db - partly broken. Most usefulness gone now that nscd is standard (

> dosfttools - looks like mtools superceeds this package.
needed by mkbootdisk
mtools needed by syslinux
get the syslinux and the mkbootdisk maintainers to agree on one or the
other if possible before talking about removing one of them.  Though
honestly i don't see how the binaries in mtools superceed the binaries
in dosfstools.  /sbin/fsck.vfat  seems rather important at first
glance.

> lftp - useful ftp client ( ftp, ncftp ) D:0
if yer gonna drop one drop ftp or ncftp instead.. lftp handles ftp and http,

> MAKEDEV - Superceeded by udev ?
required by udev

> a2ps - text to postscript tool required by xfprint
xfprint is no longer in the development tree..

> freeradius - complex package d:0
I objected.. i continue to object.  This is a poor argument. Either
point to a package this duplicates or make an argument that this
functionality shouldnt be in core.  No matter how complex the service
is.. it provides functionality for server configurations.

> mc - Is this really a core util? would it be better served in extras?
there are many console oriented applications in Core... is there a
reason why there should  text console filemanager as well? We have
console text editors and web browsers... why not a filemanager as
well?

-jef