Package pruning for FC4 and beyond

Michael A. Peters mpeters at mac.com
Sun Feb 27 11:49:29 UTC 2005

On 02/26/2005 06:24:40 AM, Eric Warnke wrote:

> lftp - useful ftp client ( ftp, ncftp ) D:0

Absolutely the best cli ftp client I have ever used.
Any *other* ftp clients are redundant :p

Yes, there's curl and wget etc. which can download, yes - there's the
standard ftp command, yes - lftp could be fetched from extras, but I
think it should stay - it's not very big, and I bet it is heavily used.

I think the idea behind moving stuff to Extras should not be to move
every duplicate package - if masses of people are just going to yum
install it, and it is small, it might as well be on the install CD.

AbiWord/Gnumeric being large packages that aren't used by a lot of
people are good examples.

lftp (under 1 MB) and lynx (under 2MB) are small packages that are used
by a fair number of people - they should thus not be moved.

--
Michael A. Peters
http://mpeters.us/