FC3 -> FC4 Upgrade? (was Re: reducing distribution CD count)

Alexandre Oliva aoliva at redhat.com
Mon Feb 28 21:43:29 UTC 2005

On Feb 27, 2005, Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 2005-02-26 at 04:22 -0300, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>> On Feb 26, 2005, seth vidal <skvidal at phy.duke.edu> wrote:
>>> I believe extras functions b/c they are are over 901 packages in
>>> extras.
> [snip]
>> Sure having CDs of Extras available for download would address part of
>> the problem: people would still be able to ask friends with big pipes
>> to download and burn CDs for them.  But how convenient is the
>> experience of installing packages from such CDs be?  Anaconda won't be
>> able to install packages from such CDs; will system-config-packages?

> Yes.  And firstboot even asks for such CDs.  And has since before Fedora
> existed :)

Yeah, I know.  But firstboot doesn't run for kickstart installs, for
one, and kickstart can't use Extras CDs, so you're stuck with doing
the post-install stage by hand.  Yuck.

Also, see the other points about making the CDs available in a form
that won't get users in dependency hell.

What if I want to install a package from an Extras CD that depends on
a Core package that I didn't install?  Will it let me know which Core
CD contains it?